The Department of Primary Industries, (principally the Landscape Protection Division) is the service provider to the Working Party. The model developed by DPI/DSE is to provide comprehensive awareness, property inspections and an extension program aimed at encouraging landowners to take all reasonable steps to eradicate serrated tussock, and a compliance program.
It aims to increase the effectiveness of existing inputs its management through the acceptance of currently available opportunities. These opportunities form the basis of the Serrated Tussock Strategy 2003-2008 and include:
- Containing spread to existing limits and ensure early detection of, and rapid action against, new serrated tussock infestations.
- Informing Victorians about the economic, social and environmental impacts of serrated tussock and how to minimise this impact.
- Achieving a significant reduction in the impact of existing serrated tussock infestations.
- Establishment of a co-ordinated, holistic approach to ensure cost-effective serrated tussock management in Victoria.
- Continuous improvement through the evaluation of serrated tussock management in Victoria.
Weeds of National Significance
The Weeds of National Significance Program is a system of identifying weeds which pose threats to Australia’s productive capacity and natural ecosystems and manage future threats. Problems Weeds of National Significance pose to Australians are:
- Threat to human health and safety.
- Threat to pastoral industries.
- Threat to cropping industries.
- Threat to forestry management.
- Threat to water quality and supplies.
- Threat to infrastructure damange.
- Threat to plant communities.
- Threat to cultural values.
- Threat to tourism.
- Threat to the community.
- Threat to recreation and amenities.
20 weeds have been identified from a list of greater than 3,000 non-native naturalised plants in the Australian environment. The weeds were identified by analysing each weed’s invasiveness and impact characteristics, potential and current area of spread, and current primary industry, environmental and socioeconomic impacts. Serrated tussock was listed as one of the 20 chosen weeds.
Tackling Weeds on Private Land
Tackling Weeds on Private Land is a $9 million, three-year State Government initiative aiming to encourage land managers to work collaboratively to manage weeds. The initiative acknowledges that by working together we can achieve more! This $9 million initiative is in addition to the State Government's annual $14 million investment in private land weed management. The initiative will assist in the implementation of the Government's Victorian Pest Management – A Framework for Action (VPMF) which sets the direction for pest management within Victoria.
The initiative seeks to strengthen partnerships between all levels of government (federal, state and local), industry and the community for effective and co-ordinated weed management. It will encourage the community to recognise that weeds are a concern for everyone and that all land managers have a responsibility to reduce the environmental, economic and social impacts of weeds. Serrated tussock control is one aspect of this program and many projects associated with serrated tussock management will be funded through this initiative.
Primary Industries Research Victoria - PIRVic
In 2003, the importance of DPI’s R & D activities was formally recognised by the announcement of a new DPI R & D Division, called Primary Industries Research Victoria (PIRVic) which includes all the former Agriculture Victoria (AV) Institutes and the Marine and Freshwater Resources Institute (MAFRI). The creation of a new R & D Division provides DPI with a combined scientific strength of over 1000 people, and a clear opportunity for a much stronger engagement of science in DPI’s policy development and directions.
DPI takes a pro-active approach to the maintenance and building of Victoria’s scientific capability and is committed to the provision of high quality, innovative science and technology to create robust primary industries that generate strong economic activity throughout the State.